My blog?!

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Page-turning and other musical duties

This weekend was full of musical events for me. That's fairly atypical since I've been back from college, although it probably can be explained by the season we are entering.

1. Friday evening: Page-turning for Camerada Pacifica
Camerada Pacifica is a top-notch performing group based in LA. From what I've picked up, chamber music seems to be their specialty. I was to page-turn for the pianist, and it was a bit nerve-wrecking: I'd never heard or seen the music before, it was high-level music, and some of the movements went lickty-split! I managed to get all the way through without causing much havoc, but I almost forgot a 1st ending/2nd ending, almost turned the page too early twice. But I'll give myself grace, as it was rather difficult.

Watching the interactions backstage was an interesting experience, as I got a peek into the life of a professional performing musician. I witnessed the familiarity (and slight boredom) with the performance progress, the opinions voiced on this or that piece of music, the amazing technique with the ease of Hot Cross Buns. But I also saw the slight nervousness before performance and the exhilaration afterward, and I could hear true excitement when discussing certain musical pieces. I was glad to see this genuine love of music, despite all the practices and performances that might drain the joy of music dry.

2. Saturday afternoon: Accompanying at a memorial service
I had my first paid accompaniment gig! I was accompanying an elderly singer with two pieces, a Schubert Lieder and a Scarlatti piece. They were just the right level of difficulty for me to master with still a bit of challenge... Unfortunately, the rehearsal we had Friday afternoon went better than actual performance, but the singer was still pleased with my playing. I know I've learned from this experience, and am improving on my accompanying skills!

3. Saturday evening: Westmont's Christmas Festival
Mom, Dad and I attended the Christmas concert, which was amazing! All the choirs and the orchestra did splendidly. Erik was especially busy, being a part of both College Choir and Chamber Singers. He even had a substantial solo, in which he made his family proud. The concert was themed 'Lo, how a Rose', and had different arrangements of the pieces, tying the concert together into a unified whole. The concert made me very happy because of the great music, but a little sad for Wheaton's Christmas Festival. Was that this weekend, as well?

4. Sunday evening: Performing for the MCC Christmas pageant
This shouldn't even count; it was such a come-down musically from the Christmas Festival. But it is true: I played 'I wonder as I wander' (unaccompanied oboe) as the opening for the Christmas pageant. I also accompanied the children on the carols during the morning rehearsal, and I discovered that I really must work on reading off of lead sheets. Bah! And then, for all the practicing, you still couldn't hear the children singing, even when mic-ed, because the worship team and the congregation was singing at the same time. So what was the point, I ask you?

I have now picked out 10 lovely choral pieces for my choirs, and am working on learning them!

That's the musical report from your friendly correspondent!
From the Archives: Dec. 8th, 2008

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home